I’m in the search of a good buttercream frosting recipe to decorate my cupcakes. In the past, I used the milkbar birthday cake frosting recipe but found the icing is a bit too soft and doesn’t have enough structure to hold ruffle and rosette designs on the cupcakes. This time, I used this recipe from Two Sister Crafting. However, I found this icing is a bit too sweet and lack of the tangy taste that I like from the Milkbar frosting recipe. So I decided to combine both recipe and ended up with not overly sweet but flavourful frosting.
I used the Milkbar Birthday Cake recipe to make these cupcakes
This recipe yields about 1120 gram icing which roughly enough to decorate 2 dozens cupcakes!
- 340 g butter, at room temperature (1 1/2 cup)
- 50 g vegetable shortening (1/4 cup)
- 55 g cream cheese (2 ounces)
- 25 g glucose (1 tablespoon)
- 18 g corn syrup (1 tablespoon)
- 12 g clear vanilla extract (1 tablespoon)
- 625 g confectioners’ sugar (5 cups)
- 2 g kosher salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- .25 g baking powder (pinch)
- .25 g citric acid (pinch)
- 1-2 tablespoons of milk